> Sasha's Blues: 10 Winter Essentials 2013/2014

10 Winter Essentials 2013/2014

Have you ever noticed how during winter everybody just look...kinda the same in their puffy jackets and uggs? In my city, winter is the fashion serial killer. The one that leaves a mess behind. (a rather sick comparison, but I'm a weird person.)

So, what to do to look fabulous when there's 5 feet of snow outside, 20°F, wind blowing directly to your face and your hands are f* frozen? Along with dry skin, brittle hair and chapped lips of course. You've probably noticed I absolutely hate winter - now I know I said something completely different a month ago, but now that's starting to get really cold I realized why I always wanted to be a bear. I could just stuff my face with yummy food and then sleep for 3 months.

1. Leather sleeves
Very commercial, but let's face it - effin' HOT! You can always dress it down or dress it up and looks Burberry-ish, double win! I've seen a bunch of coats with leather sleeves in stores already, so I suggest buying yours online (if you live in a small country like I do, where we only have like 5 different coats to chose from. Not really, but pretty close.)
But there's not just coats - cardigans, dresses, tops, you name it! Great for adding a little high fashion to your wardrobe. My advice is to keep it in neutral tones though.


Leather sleeves



2. Leather pants
Essential. Just DON'T pair it with leather jackets or any leather of any kind (except maybe a leather bag/shoes) if you don't want to look like Hell's Angels.
Leather pants look good with a silk blouse, tailored coat and high heels. Or simple shirt, cardigan, sneakers and a chinky scarf if you wanna dress it down.
Other alternatives are leather leggings, but I advise against wearing them. Just invest a couple of dollars more (you don't necesarilly have to buy real leather, faux is just as good and a hundred times cheaper) and buy fitting and flattering pants. Leather leggings just emphasize bits we don't want to show the world + it looks cheap most of the time.

Leather pants





3. Little black dress
Dinner with hubby, girls night out, high school reunion? Little black dress is a must have, even in winter. When I lived in London a few years ago I was shocked when I saw girls heading to a club at 11pm in freezing cold wearing nothing but a mini skirt and a sleeveless top. I kid you not. Now, you definitely don't want to repeat that mistake - not only you'd risk catching a pneumonia, but it also just...looks totally ridiculous. I'm all about wearing season appropriate clothes, so - here is what I came up with. I like the "show you legs, cover up your arms" combo in the winter, just don't forget to wear stockings!

little black dress



4. Cashmere sweater
Unfortunately it can be really expensive, but cashmere sweaters are so warm, soft and cuddly, it's hard to say no. Even though my wallet was protesting against it. Oops. I bought an oversized sweater - my body type just doesn't allow anything waist-lenght. You can basically pair it with anything - leggings, jeans, leather pants... and it will instantly add some glam to your outfit. Why is cashmere so expensive? Well it's produced by a certain type of goats - cashmere goats and one goat can produce enough fiber for one cashmere sweater in 4(yes, 4!) years. Crazy, isn't it?

cashmere sweaters


5. Wool coat
Wool coats are a necessity in those really cold days. Choose something in neutral, winter-friendly colours such as navy, camel (hell yes!), grey, wine red or black. Consder investing in a quality wool coat, because they will never go out of fashion. I've had mine for about 3 years now and it still looks as the day I bought it. 
Wool coats come in many shapes but you can't go wrong with a well tailored one in my opinion. I absolutely love oversized wool coats, but unfortunately I just look like I've gained 40 pounds overnight in them. Boooo. :(

wool coat


6. Winter blazer
Every girl needs a well-tailored, fitting blazer. During winter it can be a perfect way to layer your clothes (a blouse, blazer and a coat) so you can easily adapt to temperatures outside/inside. Great materials for winter are definitely wool, cashmere, tweed, flannel, velvet and even leather (that's the latest craze I guess, I've spotted a leather blazer in one of the local stores and I didn't know what to think at first, to be honest. But it can be a cool statement piece).

winter blazer


7. Boots
You're definitely going to be needing one of those and I suggest buying high quality boots. You don't want to accidentaly step into a puddle of melted snow when stepping out of the car and walk around with wet feet all day, so good boots are a must! High heels, flats, thigh high, knee high, ankle boots or just good old combo boots, winter's got nothing on them:)

boots



8. Faux fur
Fur can be paired with basically anything and it automatically makes you outfit look a hundred times more expensive. If you buy the right faux fur that is, otherwise it can look horribly cheap. I own a pair of vintage fur coats (my grandmother gave them to me) and I wear them relatively frequently - I have no problem wearing real fur, if it's vintage, I would never buy a coat produced recently.
If you're looking to buy one, Juicy Couture has some fabulous faux fur jackets!

juicy couture faux fur


9. Scarf
Chunky scarves keep you warm + they are a great addition to a casual outfit. One of the alternatives are faux fur scarves or keffiyeh scarves - they also look cool and you can pair them with again, basically anthing casual - cardigans, blazers, coats..anything. I like to stick to neutral tones during winter, but don't be afraid to pop a little colour with a beanie, scarf or gloves - some colours look really good with neutrals, for example turquoise, african purple, android green, coloumbia blue...
scarf


10. Beanie
With Rihanna promoting graphic beanies all the time, I think we'll be seeing a lot of people wearing them on the streets. There are a ton of different styles available, so I'm sure you'll find one that represents you! :)

graphic beanie




Love,
Sasha

2 comments: