> Sasha's Blues: HOW TO WEAR: black velvet dress

HOW TO WEAR: black velvet dress

Recently I've been terorrising my local thrift shop (basically the ONLY one we have in this lousy city) with my daily visits. I am obsessed. Totally, utterly, completely obsessed.
Couple of weeks ago they had a spring sale and I got some AHHHHMAZING items for (almost) free.
One of the great finds was a black velvet mini dress with long sleeves and I got it for $3.

The question I was asking myself a few hours later, when I got home and tried to pair it with basically everything I have in my closet is - what the hell am I supposed to wear with it?

1. A night out
The reason why I love this dress is because it has long slevees and it hides my arm fat. Sad, but its the truth :)
So I would wear this dress with timeless pointed toe heels (these are Gianvito Rossi and cost a fortune, but if you want a really great and cheap pair of pointed toes Zara, Asos or River Island is your answer. Trust me!) and a black leather clutch. Make sure you dont overdue with prints or materials on other items (shoes, bag), they should be very simple - like sleek leather. No huge jewelry either, unless you want to look like a baroque countess.  Add a simple pair of pearl earrings and some fine ring jewelry and you're good to go.


velvet dress1





2. A day out
I would only wear anything velvet-y during winter, late autumn or early spring ('cause you know April is usually pain in the ass - rain, cold and wind. ). Never ever put on a velvet dress during summer or warm spring days, you'll just look like you  escaped the Addam's house.
So here are some examples on how to rock it this month;)

Add a simple white cardigan and a leather jacket (i know it looks weird on the photo, but the white cardigan thing will make the outfit less "dark" - unless that's your thing, which I totally get ). I'm in love with ever so popular nerdy glasses, so here they are! Leopard print backpacks are my new "thing", I have to get me one of these!
I would keep jewelry on the minimum and wear my hair in a high bun. If it's still horribly cold outside (argh, winter, just go away already!!!!) add a scarf and voila! done:)

velvet dress 2

Not much to say about this one, you all know burgundy and black are pretty much a timeless combo. I would wear black tights with this outfit and a reddish something scarf (even a dark red keffiyed would look awesome!) + a black bag (that I would wear across my body). Easy :)

velvetdress 3



So what do you think about these outfits? Yay or nay? Do you often wear velvet and how do YOU style it?:)

No comments:

Post a Comment